I went to the doctor yesterday. For some reason I was a nervous wreck. My upper blood pressure number was high but my lower number was low. She said I'm fine, that she sees that upper number get high when patients are nervous. I told her I was. I was so stressed about coming in. I told her I wish I could just get over it because it's not going to get any easier. She said that I'm always coming in waiting for something to go wrong. My blood pressure is good when I take it at home so I know I was just worked up about going to see the doctor. I think she really believes me now when I tell her I have white coat syndrome. The funny thing is that I'm so worried about getting preeclampsia again that I wasn't worried about gaining too much weight. I had a therapist once tell me that I'll spend my whole life worrying about things that I'll find I never had to worry about and instead things will happen to me that I should have been worrying about. The point being, there's no point in worrying. Easier said than done for me. I'm a worrier. So, I should have been worrying about gaining too much weight. I gained too much in a week prompting her to look at my total weight gain so far. More than a normal pregnant woman gains in her entire pregnancy and I still have a long way to go! Ugh! She quickly looked at my ankles wondering if I was retaining water. She asked if I drink sugared drinks. Nope, simple fact is that I've been baking and eating entirely too much. She lectured me. She told me to slow down. I felt terrible and depressed. I was really enjoying the holidays, baking and eating my way through them and she really rained on my parade. I came home, threw out all our Christmas cookies and anything sweet. I walked on the treadmill and vowed to be very careful. I aslo weighed myself on our scale at home and saw that I only gained half of what she thought I gained. Now you may think I'm in denial but one time when I went in for my checkup and the scale said I had a huge weight gain. I challenged the nurse and she told me to step off and try again. I did and it was a much more reasonable number. So yes, I think their scale is broken (denial). I didn't question her this time because I knew I had been eating too much and I had a new nurse and she seemed too distracted with Magnolia. I'm embarrassed and ashamed of my gluttony. Then I started to realize that my eating is purely emotional. This pregnancy has been so hard on me emotionally. I was so depressed coming home thinking that I just want to be done with this...it's all too hard. Then I thought that I'm so lame, why do I have to be no negative? If gaining too much weight is my only problem so far then I better shape up and realize how lucky I am. At least it's something I can control. My sisters were both so supportive. My older sister who has had three babies told me that she was happy I threw out the cookies and walked on the treadmill. She said it's not going to get any easier and having extra weight is just going to make it harder. My little sister who is pregnant along with me and is on her third empathized...she said what's the point of lecturing me, it's not like I can go home and diet. She never knows how much she gains in pregnancy. She refuses to look and asks not be told, she says what's the point? Both were the things I wanted/needed to hear so I'm feeling better. All is good otherwise. We are snowed in today, it's the day before Christmas Eve, and I would love to be baking... :)
Wishing you a very Merry Christmas!!!
(24 week belly pic coming soon, fat and all)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






4 comments:
Oh Lucy, don't worry about the weight gain. I am convinced that no matter what you do, you will gain what you are supposed to gain. I ate not so well with my first and did not work out on a regular basis and I gained 60lbs!! The other 2, I watched what I was eating and I worked out religiously and I gained 55lbs!!! So, what I guess I am saying is eat within reason, workout if you feel like it and everything will be fine:) I think the most important thing is that you are able to lose the weight after you have him. Enjoy this pregnacy as much as you can, because once he is here and healthy you will wish you enjoyed it more and didn't worry so much:)( I know it is alot easier said then done) I hope you guys have a wonderful Christmas!!! Take care of yourself!
Brooke
Lucy,
I am going to agree with you that the scale IS broken! Sooo stay on the treadmill, but keep baking(you do it so well!) That way you will "feel" better, but still be able to "feed your fears". I totally get it! I know you look great, you ALWAYS do! I know it is going to be OKAY! You are already over 1/2 way... Yea!
Love ya,
Jen
I think the scale must be broken or off too! The holidays are the time for indulging a bit, so bake some more cookies, I say! I'm a bit of a worrier too, so I certainly can understand your worry. With my two boys, I quit listening to the weight gains and figured, I'd lose it later -- which I did.
Take care and enjoy the holidays. We're almost to the new year -- the year your baby will be born -- how exciting is that!
Janet
Me again -- I couldn't remember the exact words, so had to wait and check. Anyway,here's a Chinese proverb I try to remember when I am worrying too much. "Worry doesn't empty tomorrow of its problems, it empties today of its strength."
Hope you are all having a lovely holiday!
Janet
Post a Comment