Tuesday, February 17, 2009

32 Weeks!

I thought this day would never come. I imagined it with all kinds of celebratory events. I imagined having my picture taken to document how far I've come. I imagined a delicious dinner with a decadent dessert. Well, the day's here but it was just like any other. I'm big, I'm tired, dinner was blah, and since I'm borderline diabetic I'm still debating what piece of fruit I'll have for dessert. I don't mean to sound ungrateful that I've gotten to our goal date, it's just at this point it was a little anti climatic.

I had an ultrasound today with my perinatologist who I love seeing because he always gives me the reassurance and optimism that I lack with my ob. He said right away that our baby has a big head. Then he took the measurements and said this baby is BIG, he's in the 97th percentile weighing in at a whopping 5 and half pounds. He smiled and told me that if I get preeclampsia in the next couple of weeks, I'll have a nice healthy boy to deliver. Not sure what's worse at this point...getting preeclampsia and having to deliver a little early or waiting close to my due date and having to deliver a huge baby...

I saw my ob after the ultrasound and it was a rushed visit because Magnolia was not on her best behavior. Blood pressure was good, no protein, and I lost a pound! I also measured pretty much on target. I told her I cut out all simple carbs in my diet so that must have had an effect. She quickly looked at my ultrasound report from the perinatologist and said, "wow, your baby has a big head." Honestly? Enough already! I even asked her last week if she'd do a c-section, she said no, not if she doesn't have to. I may start to have more of a reason to convince her otherwise...

All else is good with me. Since I cut out sugar, I'm drinking far less water which is a really nice break. I think I was drinking up to a gallon of water a day. Now I'm back to much more normal amounts. I've been getting incredibly strong movements (go figure) and what I thought was his bottom I kept pushing on is actually his head. He's breech. I wonder if it's too late to flip???

We made great progress on his nursery and everything is washed and ready to go. I was adjusting the curtains under the heavy wooden valence that George made and it fell on my head. It broke, dented the side table, and left me seeing stars. So, needless to say the curtains are not hung as George has to fix everything and make sure they are completely attached to the wall. After that's done, I may have pictures to post.

I've been thinking I should pack my bag for the hospital but think I'll do it at the last minute. Instead I'll keep a check list on my dresser for reference when the time comes. I will pack the baby's bag as I know what I want to bring for him. I would love any tips on things I should bring!

George's dad is coming this weekend and I'm getting a full day to myself while they take Magnolia. I can't believe this will be the first time I'll have an entire day to myself. I've been dreaming up all the things I'm going to do. So far I plan to go to the bookstore with a good cup of coffee, have lunch at a fancy restaurant, and see two movies. Ah, can't wait!

I want to say thank everyone who takes the time to stop by my blog. There are some of you who have left me comments and I never responded back to say thank you for your kind words and thank you for taking the time to share in my journey!

Here's to 32 weeks and hoping for a few more! :)

8 comments:

Jboo said...

Yay -- you made it to 32 weeks - I am so excited for you!! Sounds like you are doing so great!

Have a fun weekend! Good idea to take it easy, eat out and see some movies! It is nice to have a little break now and then. Keep up the good work. Your baby boy will be here before you know it!

Janet

Anonymous said...

YaY you made it to 32 weeks! It won't be long now and he'll be in your arms! I am so excited for you! If I'm this excited over 32 weeks, I can't imagine when you deliver! *lol* I think you should go ahead and get your bag packed along with his. You can never be too prepared. Even if it has to sit there for 8 more weeks, at least it will be one less thing to think about should an emergency arise. For his bag, I suggest that along with the essentials, don't forget the mittens. My children began scratching their face almost immediately. Congradulations also on a day to yourself! You should try to get at least one day a week to yourself until d-day. Once you have that child there will be a lot less time for YOU! Sorry to keep rambling.... Congrats again!
♥Lesley

The Pruntys said...

Lucy,
Congratulations! It must be so exciting and such a relief to make it to this point. I am so happy for you!

My two cents on packing for the hospital - don't bring much. I barely used anything that I brought - just some comfy pjs, bathrobe, socks and slippers. I packed a ton of "stuff" the first time around to get me through the labor (I had even brought a rolling pin for my back!)and I never used any of it. When the time came all I wanted was Jack and Henry's ultrasound pictures to focus on during the contractions. But maybe that's just me. :)

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

I am so happy that you made it to the 32 week mark....it must be a huge relief for you and it sounds like everything is going according to schedule!!

Try not to worry about the delivery....you will be fine either way....normal delivery or C-section....I am sure you are in great hands with your doctor and they will do what is in the best interest for you and the baby:)

Having a complete day to yourself sounds like heaven....enjoy every minute of your Mommy time!!

Lisa

Anonymous said...

YEAH 32 weeks!! I love following your progress weekly!
I sure hope that your head is feeling better after having that valance fall on you! Ouch!!
Enjoy your day to your self! How awesome....just enjoy, as it wont be long and your time will be the new baby's and Magnolias (not that you will mind, but it is so nice and refreshing to have some "me time"!!

ENJOY!!!

Dawn

Anonymous said...

Chrissy was real happy to have her own blanket and pillow from home. It added a little touch of familiarity to the otherwise generic room which will be your home for at least a day or two!

Jennifer said...

CONGRATS on 32 weeks! What a journey this has been for you :)
I hope your head is okay? Yikes!
It is funny how excited we get to have "me" time! Hope it was good....

I also took my own pillow and some new pj's. Oh and mascara and lip gloss :)

Hoping for 33!!!

Love,
Jen

Bridget said...

Hi Lucy -
I haven't left a message for awhile - but am so happy that you have made it to 32 (+) weeks by now!!! How exciting for you! I am so glad that things are going well! I can't wait to see that adorable baby boy of yours. I have been spending time with my new nephew and just can't believe how sweet he is! I hope you enjoyed your day by yourself - two movies I am so jealous!!! Hope all's well!

- Bridget